(c) gopixpic.com. All images remain the property of their creator.
Disclaimer: I am posting this for fun and because people enjoy reading about these things. If you choose to play any of these games then you do so at your own risk.
How to play
- There is a great post on Saya’s blog about it.
- There is another version of this game. You can read about it here.
- According to my original source (see credit) the word for “it” in Japanese hide & seek or tag is “oni” – which means “devil”. Goody.
- Only play if you are alone in the house. Otherwise someone else may be ‘found’ instead of you.
- Only play alone. Otherwise one of you risks possession.
- Some people say that if the demon toy finds you then it will stab you with the knife. People advise using something less ‘crap, I’m bleeding to death’ and more ‘oh dear, that smarts a little,’ but whatever you use must be the same thing that you use to cut open the stuffed toy.
- Some people report a feeling of malevolence once the game is over. They feel haunted.
- A stuffed toy.
- Rice (uncooked).
- A clock, with alarm function.
- Fingernail clippings (your own, weirdo)
- A knife (ideally a little one, no butcher knives or machetes).
- A needle.
- Red thread.
- Salt water or sake.
- A bathtub.
- Find out what time the sun comes up in your area. Set an alarm for that time and leave it somewhere you will be able to hear it (though not near your chosen hiding place).
- Name your stuffed toy. Don’t get too attached to it though as you’re about to have a falling out (or rather, it is).
- Cut open the stuffed animal and remove the stuffing (see).
- In the opening, place the rice and fingernail clippings.
- Stitch the opening with a long piece of red thread. Wrap the excess around its body.
- At exactly 3.00am go to the bathroom with your stuffed toy.
- Fill the bath with cold water.
- Say loudly, 3 times, ‘for the first game I’m going to be it.’
- Drop the stuffed animal in the water.
- Turn off all the lights. You can leave any televisions on, but only if it has been tuned to static.
- Close your eyes and count to 10.
- Open your eyes, grab the knife and go back to the bathroom.
- Out loud, say, ‘I found you.’
- Stab the stuffed toy with the knife (take that childhood).
- Say, ‘now you are it.’
- Leave the toy in the bathtub with the knife still buried deep.
- Quickly run and hide (quietly). Make sure you have your sake or salt with you or you’re pretty boned.
- You may hear strange noises; footsteps, creepy voices, children singing. Be prepared for almost anything. Some people report a sensation of tugging or being pinched.
- Stay hidden until the sun comes up. This is why I told you to set an alarm. End the ritual as detailed below.
- If you want to end the game early then take as much salt water or sake into your mouth as possible and KEEP IT THERE as you head to the bathroom. The stuffed spawn of Satan could be anywhere, not necessarily chilling in the bathroom. Find it, without swallowing your sake/water. Once you find devil, demon dude spit the water/sake onto it. Now say 3 times, ‘I won.’
- Glory in your victory, but not for too long.
- Burn the stuffed animal, because no ritual is complete without a bonfire of your treasured possessions.
How to, video style
- Hitori Kakurenbo: One Man Hide and Seek (kiracollins13.wordpress.com)
- Hide and seek with god (themsyndrome.wordpress.com)
Um, knives. Possessed demon dolls.
Would I play
Not a chance.