(c) Original Artist. All images remain the property of their creator.
- Japanese urban legend.
- Urban legend is said to have originated anywhere from the 50’s to the 80’s.
- Said to be a girl killed in a WWII bombing while playing hide and seek. Or in another version she is a girl who was molested and murdered by an unnamed person.
- She has featured in Manga and film.
How do I recognise her?
- A young girl in a red skirt.
Where will I find her?
- Third stall in a third floor girl’s bathroom.
How do I get her attention?
- Hanako-san is often compared to Bloody Mary as she is only said to appear when her name is chanted. You should go to the third stall in a third floor girl’s bathroom and knock three times on the door, asking, ‘Are you there Hanako-San‘. If a voice answers then you should enter the stall, where you will find a young girl in a red skirt.
- It is also said that you will not always find Hanako-San in the stall. Instead you may find a malevolent entity who has mimicked her voice. You will then be eaten.
- Some legends state that once summoned she will follow you.
How do I escape?
- The only way to banish her is to show good grades.
- Some versions state that if you open the door of her stall then she’ll pull you into the toilet.
- Sometimes said to be merely mischievous, sometimes malevolent and dangerous.