(c) google images. All images remain the property of their creator.
Disclaimer: I am posting this for fun and because people enjoy reading about these things. If you choose to play any of these games then you do so at your own risk.
How to play
- Please note that I have credited the original source (the one I found first) Synchros for this post, but I have found additional blog entries with slight deviations. I have included some of these deviations where I feel they enhance the game.
- This game is very similar to Hitori Kakurenbo, which I’ve previously talked about on this blog. According to the source the difference lies in the dolls reaction. Instead of confronting you, if it discovers your hiding place it will be smiling at the end of the game. The source also states that this game is far more dangerous than One Man Hide and Seek, so proceed with caution. Also note that I personally feel that playing this game in your own home would be a big mistake and should ideally be avoided.
- Hide the scapegoat very well. Some sources claim that it is very dangerous for the other doll to obtain your hair. Some suggest hiding it within a series of boxes, like a set of Russian dolls.
- Please note, the longer the game goes on, the more likely the doll is to find you. Most sources suggest starting with one or two minutes as you can play this game again.
- You must play alone.
- Do not make a sound while the original doll is searching for you.
- Do not run away without finishing the game properly.
- Do not leave the house while playing.
- End the game before the sun comes up. Do not play for too long or the doll may find you.
- If you choose to replay the game use completely new materials and do not hide the scapegoat or yourself in the same place.
- Once the game has started never cross between the mirrors.
- Two tall mirrors that you don’t mind destroying.
- A humanoid doll that isn’t smiling.
- A second doll to use as a scapegoat.
- An alarm clock.
- A candle of any colour except black or red.
- A blindfold.
- A single hair strand.
- Five spoonfuls of salt (doesn’t say whether table or teaspoon size, but given the amount you need I would suggest the former).
- Place the mirrors facing each other with the unlit candle in the middle.
- The scapegoat doll functions as a distraction so tie your hair onto it as tightly as possible.
- Hide this doll well. It should be far away from your intended hiding spot, but near the other doll. It gives you time to hide which is why it must be closer to the other doll than you are.
- At midnight go to the room with the mirrors and the candle.
- Set the alarm for however long you intend to play the game.
- Say 5 times, ‘I will leave a new body here for you in the shape of a doll.’
- Place the original doll in front of the candle.
- Now say, ‘let’s play,’ 5 more times.
- You may feel strange or uncomfortable at this point, which means things are going as they should. If you feel any sense of pressure on your body you must immediately abort the game. The spirit is attempting to possess you instead of the doll.
- If you wish to abort the game sprinkle salt and basil on both the mirrors and both dolls. The dolls should be salted and burned before you move the mirrors. Once you have done this, place the ashes of the dolls into running water, as far from your home as possible. The mirrors should be taken apart, salted and destroyed, as far from each other as possible.
- Assuming that you wish to proceed, keep the salt with you.
- Now say, ‘find me please. I allow x (you know the drill, replace x with desired amount of time). Once the alarm sounds, your power fades and you must return from where you came. If you win, I offer my life as tribute.’
- Start the alarm.
- Cover the dolls eyes with the blindfold and say, ‘the game begins.’
- Head to your hiding spot, sprinkling a little of the salt on yourself, without leaving a trail. Hide. One variation suggests creating a salt circle around yourself once you are in your hiding place and remaining in it until the alarm sounds. Do not leave the hiding place until the end of the game.
- The original doll should now be searching for the scapegoat.
- Once the game is over you should take your remaining salt and go to the room with the mirrors and candle.
- In front of the candle you say, ‘you lose, the game is done. Thank you for playing.’
- Sprinkle salt on yourself and blow out the candle.
- Now try to find the original doll and the scapegoat. Sprinkle salt on both.
- The original source suggests that within three days you should send the original doll to a shrine so that they can perform a ritual to soothe the spirit. If this is not possible, I would destroy it. Destroy the scapegoat, but reclaim your hair before doing so and burn that too.
- Dispose of the mirrors, as detailed above.
- Smudge through every room of the house. Some suggest leaving offerings for the spirit before you do this as a way of appeasing it.
- Please note, if at the end of the game the doll is smiling it means she found you and your life is in grave danger. You should avoid lingering in dark places and continue to smudge the rooms every day until you feel safe. Also avoid looking for long into mirrors or reflective surfaces.
- Hitori Kakurenbo – Hide And Seek Alone (jamestelford.wordpress.com)
The usual warning about candles left unattended.
High to oh my gosh, I’m going to die.
Would I Play
Nope. I won’t play any games that require the use of blood or hair.