(c) Frank Docherty. His photos can be found here. All images remain the property of their original creator.
Disclaimer: I am posting this for fun and because people enjoy reading about these things. If you choose to play any of these games then you do so at your own risk.
How to play
- There is an old superstition that states if you look at the corners in a dark room before sleep, ghosts will haunt your dreams.
- Corners are supposedly unlucky.
- It is said that ghosts which crawl around the ceiling use the corners to reach the floor. Ghosts standing in a room will also linger in corners to avoid the sensation of passing through the living.
- The only people in the house must be the four players. This means no pets either.
- A ghost may join the game. If this happens then one of your friends may either disappear or be possessed. This should only last until the end of the game. If one of you continues to face the wall once the light is switched on at the end of a turn, continue the game, but stand behind that person for your turn. That is the ghost. Only one switch can take place per turn. So set up a signal per turn so you know who is still there, for example player 1 knocks once after changing corners, two knocks for player 2 and so on. If one of you misses the signal, follow the instructions set out in the steps below.
- None, just four people.
- Turn off all lights except for those in the play room.
- Decide amongst yourselves on signals to be given through the game to keep order and who will be order keeper. If no signals are given, second in command should continue. This discussion should not take place in the game room. Decide on a player order too.
- Upon entering the play room, call out your own name 3 times.
- Close the door to the room once you are ready to begin. Turn off the light.
- Each of you should choose a corner to stand in, facing the wall.
- The person who is supposed to give the signal should call out, ‘one, two, three’ and then everyone moves clockwise to the next corner. If anyone accidentally runs into someone else, turn on the lights and begin again after a few moments.
- It is said that during the game, someone may disappear and someone/something else may join the game to make sure none of the corners are empty. If this is believed to have happened then the designated order keeper should give the signal, or if they are not present, the second in command. Each person should whisper their name backwards three times, press their back to the wall and the nearest person to the light should switch it on. Don’t wait too long to switch on the light, if the nearest person hasn’t done so within a few seconds, the second nearest should do it. If the person does not immediately return then you must carry on playing. Turn off the light and continue.
- If someone/something else has joined the game then you must also continue and complete to ensure the return of your missing friend. Do not interact with the ghost in any way. The game is completed once each person has stood in each of the four corners.
- Turn on the light, open the door to the room and leave.
- Dark rooms increase risk of collision or tripping over.
Medium to high.
Would I play?
No thanks. I’m enough of a klutz with the lights on.