(c) Original Artist. All images remain the property of their original creator.
Disclaimer: I am posting this for fun and because people enjoy reading about these things. If you choose to play any of these games then you do so at your own risk.
How to Play
- Originated here.
- Read the instructions start to finish before deciding whether you want to play. It is important to understand what you are risking.
- OP states that ‘Above all else, you must concentrate, must focus. You must not allow yourself the self-indulgence of thinking about what you’re doing, Such reﬂection will wake the logic we’ve cultivated as a species to banish the darker realities, and after all, we’re not interested in logic; it’s magic we’re after here, aren’t we? Magick is belief} not ritual. Ritual is nothing without belief. It is the belief that matters, the font from which the magick shall ﬂow into this tiny container we’ll soon build.’
- The idea behind this ritual is to summon back a friend you had in childhood, the one that no one else could see and who you forgot as you grew older and put aside childish things (or just moved them to the attic). Perhaps you remember them now as you read this, perhaps not, that doesn’t matter: we all have one.
- A space to play.
- Find a space where you can sit comfortably for a long period. There should be at least an arms length of space between you and any walls or windows/mirrors. You should not be able to see a mirror or highly reflective surface from your seated position.
- When you are ready, turn off the lights and close the door.
- Recite this poem, ‘my oldest friend, so long ignored. Come back to me from the night’s dark shore. My invitation I now renew, that I might spend the night with you.’ Repeat and establish a rhythm. Continue until you sense a change in the room. OP states that it could be ‘almost anything: breathing besides your own, a drop in the temperature, creaking ﬂoor boards.’
- Once you realise you are not alone you must remain quiet and still. Most commonly it will be behind you. Never turn to look at it. It will try many things to get you to look at it, but you must resist. If you look at it then you are lost. Continue to repeat, ‘ask and I shall answer.’
- It may take minutes or hours, but it will eventually ask its riddle. You have until dawn to answer, if you fail, you can never play this game again. From then on you will need to sleep with the lights on. They don’t like the light.
- If you answer correctly then you will be set a task. Do not move until you are certain it has gone.
- The task will be difficult and will take you outside of your comfort zone, but you have unlimited chances to complete it.
- If you have managed to complete the task, congratulations, that was the first test. Your friend will soon come again and this time, without being called.
Friends take time and effort. Remember their birthdays.
Would I play?
I’m rubbish at riddles. If you like riddles, have fun here.