(c) Original Artist. All images remain the property of their original creator.
Disclaimer: I am posting this for fun and because people enjoy reading about these things. If you choose to play any of these games then you do so at your own risk.
How to Play
- Credit to ViciousKrimson of Reddit.
- The origin story is detailed in the original post and quoted here (note, I have made minor corrections to language as OP notes English is not his/her first language):
“The story goes that once upon a time there lived a young woman in a village somewhere in Eastern Europe. She wasn’t local but moved to the village from some place no one heard of. Notorious for her extreme beauty, she attracted a lot of attention from mainly the male population of the village. Wherever she went men would stare at her, they would talk about her non-stop, even at home with their wives. Women would be envious of her beauty and smile that as the men would say “melted their hearts”.
Life in the village was never the same after the woman moved in. She was destroying families, turning brothers against each other, sons against fathers, wives against husbands. The village elders agreed that she was a problem that needed to be dealt with before the whole village went crazy and killed each other over her. The woman was quickly accused of being a witch that was seducing men and leading them to their death. Corpses were displayed on the village square to serve as a proof that she murdered them. Their eyes were missing as the village elders explained that this is the sign of the witchcraft done by her. The people that were gathered there quickly marched onto the house of the “witch” and burst in while she was brushing her hair in front of her mirror. She was quickly subdued and brutally beaten by the same men that were smitten by her not long ago and the women that were envious of her good looks. As a final mockery to her they left her to die in front of a mirror so she could look at herself while dying, “The once famed beauty now was a grotesque figure of herself with her beauty nowhere to be seen” the women would say after leaving her home.
They said that her weeping was heard throughout the village for the next three days. After which it silenced and everything in the village was back to normal. Except for the fact that before she died, she cursed everyone that dares to say her name in front of a mirror. “Lady Spades” as the village nicknamed her for the fact that she wore black clothing and favouring the Queen of Spades playing card.”
- The idea is to summon the Lady Spades, if she finds you worthy then she will grant you a single wish. Because she is very dangerous it is important to keep her contained within the mirror and prevent her from escaping.
- Following this game, those that survive, have claimed to be plagued with nightmares.
- This game can only be played alone.
- A candle.
- Red lipstick.
- A dark room.
- A mirror.
- A match/lighter.
- The Queen of Spades (the card that is said to represent the spirit of Lady Spades).
- Always maintain eye contact with her.
- You should begin around midnight.
- Enter the room containing the mirror.
- Hold the Queen of Spades card in your hand, ensuring the face of it is toward the mirror.
- Light the candle, place it in front of the mirror and turn off all lights.
- Either write Lady Spades on the mirror in lipstick, or draw a pair of stairs opposite one another which should meet at a door.
- Stand in front of the mirror, relax and attempt to clear your mind (for some of us, this is easier than others).
- Say ‘Lady Spades’ appear exactly seven times.
- Close your eyes and visualise her appearing in the mirror. Imagine a woman dressed in black with scars across her face. Her eyes are black and even with the damage you can tell that she was once beautiful. If done correctly, you may hear whispering, footsteps or something similar.
- If all has gone as it should you should open your eyes to find her before you. If you open your eyes to find the candle has gone out, or you feel threatened then you should immediately end the ritual. The same advice applies should the card be missing, or have turned in your hand so the face is toward you. If the card is missing then you must find it and burn it. If she is pressing her hands against the mirror, or has already partially escaped then immediately abort the ritual.
- You may now state your wish. Now she will challenge you to decide your worth. No one knows exactly what this entails, but make sure you keep your eyes on her.
- Should you be deemed worthy then you will hear her say ‘yes.’ Immediately end the game.
- To end the game you should say, ‘Lady Spades disappear,’ and wipe out either her name or the drawing on the mirror. Blow out the candle and turn on the lights. Burn the card and keep the mirror covered at night. Even if you don’t think the game worked you should end the ritual properly, for peace of mind if nothing else.
- You will never truly be rid of her. Beware dark rooms with mirrors and avoid keeping packs of cards in your home.
Card games can lead to you being poor, or naked.
Would I play?
Nope. I don’t even own a pack of cards anyway.